an instagram challenge by Joanne Hawker
This 'challenge' popped up in my searching on Instagram (my actual favorite social media), and I was learning about so many people who work with their hands. Initiated by Joanne Hawker each day makers are posting from a list that starts with 1. YOU.
Inspired by the idea of sharing a little behind the scenes of one part of my maker life: HENNA.
1. YOU > I am terrible at selfies. But I do love my flower crown.
2. FAVORITE TO MAKE > Connections. Henna has enriched my life so much because of the people I have met and because I love that my work brings other people such pleasure.
3. WORK SPACE > it was tempting to post a pretty picture of the studio, instead a slightly edited dining room table with practice sheets, coffee pot and some debris from my life as a mom.
4. TOOLS > Henna cone (and a mask brush). There are several steps in 'making' before the paste gets into that cone, and I love that part too; the way bakers bake and cooks cook, I love the way the powder becomes this paste with the right character when I add the right ingredients. A little bit of science, a little bit of magic.
5. RAW MATERIAL > the raw powder of dried henna leaves that have been milled and sifted, plus tea and essential oils (the 'raw' ingredients are minimally processed plants) #itsallplantsinhere
6. HOW it's made >
7. WHERE it's made >